- Real Estate Law
- Business Law
- Intellectual Property Law
Lee Darling is a premier transactional attorney with more than thirty-five years of experience. Her primary focus in recent years has been in large multi-family property acquisitions, sales and financings, and includes extensive work with FNMA and FHLMC loans. She has worked on many other interesting projects as well, among them the acquisition of a ski area, the European manufacture of a specialized racing car and the construction of high-end condos and commercial buildings. She acts as general counsel to a number of profit and non-profit companies, and to several family-owned firms, for whom she has worked through the transition from one generation to the next.
Ms. Darling calls her law practice a “relationship practice” and considers herself just one participant in the team that drives the client’s business. She understands that the role of the attorney is to enable the client to make sound, well-informed decisions. Her challenge is to anticipate the client’s needs as she guides them through both good corporate times and bad.
A cum laude graduate of the University of Florida College of Law, Ms. Darling has spent her legal career in private practice in south Florida and in Denver, Colorado. She enjoys her chosen career and the people she encounters in it. Married to an attorney and the mother of two children, she spends her leisure moments reading, fishing, golfing, skiing, and traveling.
- Darling Milligan Horowitz PC 2001 – Present (Shareholder)
- Darling & Bergstrom, P.C. 2000 – 2001 (Shareholder)
- Bendelow & Darling, P.C. 1988 – 2000 (Shareholder)
Professional Affiliations & Admissions
Admitted to bar: 1979, Florida; 1980, U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit and U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida; 1982, U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit; 1986, Colorado; 1987, U.S. District Court, District of Colorado; Order of the Coif; Phi Delta Phi. Member, University of Florida Law Review, 1977-1979. Winner of Ralph Bailey Student Scholarship, 1977-1978. Licensed Real Estate Agent, Florida, 1977.
- ALH Holding Company vs. Bank of Telluride, 18 P.3d 742 (Colo. 2000)
Notable Publications and Articles
- Author: “Trademarks: The Overlooked Asset,” Colorado Venture Group Update, November 1986
- “Mandatory Arbitration in Colorado,” Colorado Venture Group Update, March 1988
- “The Covenant of Good Faith and Fair Dealing,” Continuing Education Services, Corp., June 1989
- “Real Estate Interests, If Mishandled, Can Be Deemed Securities,” Colorado Real Estate Journal, February 2, 1994
- “Buyers: Beware the Wraparound,” Colorado Real Estate Journal, August 2, 1995
- “Trademarks: The Basics,” Continuing Legal Education in Colorado, November 1997
- Rollins College (1972-1973)
- University of Florida (B.S., with honors, 1976; J.D., with honors, 1979)
- Awarded membership National Association of Professional Women 2011-2012
- Named Colorado’s top attorney in real estate by Colorado Super Lawyers 2011