- Commerical and Real Estate Litigation
- Employment Litigation
Bruce Smith is a veteran trial attorney. From the defense of capital murder cases to the prosecution of multi-million dollar condemnation and real estate litigation, Mr. Smith has successfully represented clients in a broad array of trial matters. His practice emphasizes eminent domain, real estate and commercial litigation and employment claims. He has experience serving as in-house litigation counsel in a Fortune 500 corporate setting, condemnation counsel for multiple municipalities and companies, and trial attorney in complex medical cases. A graduate of Princeton University and the University of Colorado School of Law, where he was managing editor of the Law Review, Mr. Smith is called upon to assist and consult in numerous condemnation and commercial cases as well as to counsel clients on day-to-day employment law issues.
Mr. Smith believes each client and case is entitled to thorough attention and fidelity, and he emphasizes cost-effective and result-oriented representation, tailored to the complexity and magnitude of the matter. He makes a point of keeping the client informed as to the progress of litigation in order to enable educated decisions by the client.
All lawsuits are fact-specific. Therefore, it is his practice to undertake a comprehensive analysis of the facts early on and provide the client with a realistic evaluation and budget at the outset of each case. Following evaluation, the firm may propose a hybrid fee arrangement combining aspects of hourly billing and contingent or result-based compensation.
An outdoor enthusiast, Bruce enjoys road-biking, tennis and hiking. When indoors, he is perpetually listening to music, opera and blues especially. He is married and has three grown children pursuing professional careers.
- Darling Milligan Smith & Lesch, PC 2002 – Present
- Pearson & Horowitz, P.C. 1995 – 2002
- Opperman & Associates 1991 – 1995
- Chief Counsel/Litigation, U.S. West, Inc., 1981-1990
- Bosworth & Slivka, P.C. 1976-1980
- Colorado State Public Defender, 1972 – 1975
Professional Affiliations & Admissions
Admitted to bar: 1972, Colorado, U.S. District Court, District of Colorado and U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit; Member, Board of Directors, Continuing Legal Education in Colorado, 1977-1983. City Councilman, City of Cherry Hills Village, Colorado, 1986-1994.
- Redden v. SCI Colorado Funeral Services, Inc., 38 P.3d 75 (Colo. 2001)
Notable Publications and Articles
- University of Colorado Law Review. Author: “Airport Service Charges and The Constitutional Barriers to State Taxation of Airport Users,” 43 U. Colo. L. Rev. 79
- News Clipping: “1.9 million awarded in accident”, Sep. 19, 2002
- News Clipping: “Treasured patch of land paved in controversy”
- News Clipping: “Judge: 2 widows due $5 million”
- Princeton University (B.A. 1969)
- University of Colorado (J.D. 1972)